The Pastrami Rub
To say that the rub is the key to the success to our Pastrami would be an understatement. After the curing and before the smoking, somewhere between is where we believe the magic happens. The twenty four hour resting period is worth the effort, we promise.
Ingredients For Pastrami Rub
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup Tellicherry peppercorns, cracked to a "Butcher's Grind"
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted and coarsely ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients thoroughly, massaging the mixture with your fingers to break down the dark brown sugar into fine crystals.
Generously apply spice mixture to the brisket, covering the entire brisket rather thickly. Place in the refrigerator for twenty four hours, uncovered.